Last updated on April 17th, 2023 at 10:40 am
It can be fun and practical to use a scooter to get around town. It’s not only a sustainable means of transportation, but it’s also a fun way to see your city. But as with any form of transportation, safety must always come first. Wearing a helmet is among the most important safety precautions when using a scooter.
In the event of an accident, helmets can significantly lower the risk of head injuries. They can even save your life by cushioning the blow to your head. Unfortunately, a lot of riders still opt to forgo wearing helmets, either out of a false sense of security or a dislike for how they appear.
However, the advantages of using a helmet when riding a scooter outweigh any concerns about its appearance by a wide margin.
The significance of selecting the appropriate helmet for your needs will be covered in this article, along with a thorough comparison of the best helmets for scooter riders. We are confident that our reviews will enable you to choose the best helmet to keep you safe while operating your scooter, whether you are a novice or a seasoned pro.
Why scooter riders should wear helmets
Helmets are an essential piece of safety equipment for anyone riding a scooter. In the event of an accident, they are made to shield your head and brain from harm.
Studies show that wearing a helmet can cut your risk of suffering a head injury by up to 85%.
The advantages of using a helmet when scootering
Helmets have a number of additional advantages beyond safeguarding you from severe injuries. They can help you stay warm in cold weather, block out wind noise, and shield the sun’s rays and flying objects from your eyes.
Helmets can increase your visibility on the road so that other drivers can see you more easily.
The significance of selecting the appropriate helmet
In order to ensure your safety while riding, selecting the appropriate helmet is essential. When choosing a helmet, there are a number of things to take into account, such as the helmet’s safety certifications, type, fit and sizing, weight and material, ventilation and noise levels, and design and style.
Considerations for Choosing the Best Helmets for Scooter Riders
Check for safety certifications
It is crucial to look for safety certifications when choosing a helmet. DOT, ECE, and SNELL certifications are among the most popular. These certifications show that the helmet has undergone testing and complies with established safety requirements.
Scooter riders’ helmet options
Riders of scooters can choose from a variety of helmets, including full-face, open-face, and modular models. The most protective helmets are full-face, while open-face models are lighter and more breathable.
Size and fit of helmets
Your safety depends on wearing a helmet that fits comfortably. It’s crucial to measure your head and pick the correct size when choosing a helmet.
The helmet should snugly fit without being excessively tight or loose.
weight and material of helmets
The weight and material of the helmet may affect how comfortable you feel while riding. While heavier helmets might provide more protection, lighter ones are typically more comfortable. Polycarbonate, carbon fiber, and fiberglass are the most popular helmet materials.
Noise levels and ventilation in helmets
Considerations such as ventilation and noise levels are crucial. Helmets with good ventilation can keep you cool and comfortable, whereas noisy helmets may be uncomfortable and distracting.
Design and style of helmets
Finally, the helmet’s style and design should also be taken into account. You should pick a helmet that not only offers sufficient protection but also complements your sense of fashion.
#1. Bell Qualifier Full-Face Motorcycle Helmet
Scooter riders who want a premium helmet that offers both safety and style should consider the Bell Qualifier Full-Face Motorcycle Helmet. This helmet is DOT-certified, meaning it satisfies the safety requirements set forth by the Department of Transportation.
It also has an aerodynamic shell design that lessens wind noise and enhances stability at high speeds.
The Bell Qualifier’s full-face design, which completely covers your head, face, and chin, is one of its most important advantages. This design is a great option for riders who want the highest level of safety because it provides superior protection against impact and debris.
A padded wind collar is also included with the helmet, which helps keep you comfortable on long rides and reduces wind noise.
The removable and washable interior liner of the Bell Qualifier is another feature that sets it apart. Even on warm days, this liner will help keep you dry and comfortable because it is made of moisture-wicking material.
Additionally, it is antimicrobial, which helps to keep the helmet smelling fresh and stops the growth of bacteria.
- Lightweight polycarbonate shell for increased comfort
- ClickRelease shield system for quick and simple shield changes
- Padded wind collar to lessen wind and noise from the road
- NutraFog II anti-fog, anti-scratch, and UV-protected face shield
- D-ring closure for a secure fit
- DOT certification for safety
- A variety of colors and designs are available
- The chin strap may be too short for some riders.
- The helmet may not provide as much ventilation as other helmets, making for a hot and uncomfortable ride in warmer weather.
- Some riders may find the helmet to be a bit bulky compared to other full-face helmets.
Who it’s best suited for: Riders who prioritize protection and comfort over ventilation
#2. Shoei RF-SR Helmet
This high-end helmet provides scooter riders with exceptional quality and protection. This helmet is Snell-certified, indicating that it satisfies the Snell Memorial Foundation’s safety requirements, which are among the most rigorous in the business.
Additionally, it has a multi-ply matrix AIM+ shell that offers excellent impact resistance and absorption.
The ventilation system of the Shoei RF-SR is among its most noteworthy advantages. On hot days, the helmet’s four intake vents and four exhaust vents work in concert to keep you cool and comfortable. Additionally, you can change the ventilation system’s airflow settings to suit your preferences.
The noise-reducing design of the Shoei RF-SR is another noteworthy aspect. The double-layered shell design of the helmet makes it easier to hear your surroundings while riding by reducing wind noise. Additionally intended to reduce noise, the interior liner contributes to a more relaxing and enjoyable riding experience.
- Lightweight, strong multi-ply shell
- Pinlock EVO fog-resistant face shield for visibility in all weather
- Advanced ventilation system for optimal airflow
- Removable, washable liner for simple maintenance
- Available in a variety of color and design options
- aerodynamic design for reduced wind noise and improved stability at high speeds
- DOT and Snell M2015 certification for safety.
- A variety of colors and designs are available
- Some riders may find the helmet to be a little snug or uncomfortable, especially around the cheeks
- The helmet may not provide as much ventilation as other helmets, making for a hot and uncomfortable ride in warmer weather
Who it’s best suited for: Riders who value protection and superior ventilation over cost.
#3. AGV K3 SV Helmet
One of the most significant advantages of this helmet is its safety certification. The AGV K3 SV Helmet is ECE 22.05 approved, which is a generally accepted safety standard in Europe. This accreditation ensures that the helmet has undergone stringent safety testing and offers the best possible protection for riders. Furthermore, this helmet complies with the DOT safety standard, making it acceptable for usage on US roadways.
Another advantage of this helmet is its excellent ventilation system. The top vent, chin vent, and exhaust vent on the AGV K3 SV Helmet work together to keep the rider cool and comfortable even on extended rides. The interior of the helmet is also detachable and washable, which aids in keeping it clean and sanitary.
The lightweight and robust thermoplastic shell of the AGV K3 SV Helmet provides exceptional impact protection. The helmet also has a micrometric adjustment buckle for a secure and comfortable fit.
- Pinlock-ready face shield for clear visibility in all weather conditions
- Advanced ventilation system for optimal airflow.
- Removable and washable liner for easy maintenance
- Lightweight and durable HIR-TH shell construction
- an integrated drop-down sun visor for added sun protection
- an advanced ventilation system for optimal airflow.
- The sun visor may not offer enough protection for some riders, leaving them exposed to the sun’s glare.
- The helmet may be a bit noisy compared to some other options on the market, especially at high speeds.
- Some riders may find the helmet to be a bit tight or uncomfortable, especially around the forehead.
Who it’s best suited for: Riders looking for a multipurpose helmet with superior ventilation and protection.
#4. HJC C70 Helmet (X-Large)
Full-face helmets like the HJC C70 provide excellent protection and comfort for scooter riders. It has an impact-absorbing lightweight polycarbonate composite shell and an anti-scratch Pinlock face shield that both allow for clear vision while riding.
Additionally, the helmet has a ventilation system to keep your head cool and dry while riding in hot weather.
The HJC C70’s comfortable interior lining, which is made of moisture-wicking fabric and is entirely removable and washable, is one of its standout features.
The helmet also has a secure-fitting micro buckle closure system that is simple to use. You can stay connected while on the go thanks to the HJC C70’s compatibility with the HJC Smart HJC 10B and 20B Bluetooth communication systems.
- DOT-certified for safety
- Lightweight and strong polycarbonate composite shell construction
- with advanced CAD (computer-aided design) technology for improved fit and comfort
- With an advanced ventilation system for optimal airflow
- Removable and washable liner for ease of maintenance
- SunShield visor system for additional sun protection;
- The sun visor may not be as effective as some riders would like, leaving them exposed to the sun’s glare.
- The helmet may not be as high-quality as some other options on the market, raising some durability concerns.
- Some riders may find the helmet to be a bit tight or uncomfortable, especially around the cheeks and forehead.
Who it’s best suited for: Riders on a tight budget who desire a helmet with superior protection and ventilation
#5. Scorpion EXO-R420 Helmet
A full-face helmet that strikes an excellent balance between fashion, comfort, and safety is the Scorpion EXO-R420.
It has an impact-resistant, lightweight polycarbonate shell and an EverClear anti-fog face shield that allow for clear vision even in inclement weather. In order to keep the helmet fresh and clean, it also has a KwikWick II anti-microbial liner that is removable and washable.
The Scorpion EXO-R420 is extremely comfortable, with a well-ventilated design that keeps your head cool and dry during hot weather rides. Additionally, it has a secure-fitting quick-release chin strap that is simple to use.
The helmet also satisfies or exceeds DOT safety requirements, making it a great option for riders who place a premium on safety.
- EverClear anti-fog face shield for clear visibility
- Lightweight and strong polycarbonate shell
- Advanced ventilation system; removable and washable liner for simple maintenance
- Snell M2015 and DOT certification for safety.
- An additional sun visor for SpeedView that drops down
- Limited color and design options compared to some other helmets on the market.
- Can be quite noisy at high speeds.
- Some riders may find the helmet to be a bit snug or uncomfortable.
Who it’s best suited for: Scooter riders who value comfort and style and frequently ride in hot weather are best suited for the Scorpion EXO-R420. Given that the helmet satisfies or exceeds DOT safety standards, it is also a smart choice for riders who place a premium on safety. Riders who value a light helmet or little wind noise, however, might want to think about other options.
Scooter riders must always wear a helmet, and selecting the appropriate helmet is equally crucial. Think about a helmet’s safety certifications, type, fit and size, ventilation and noise levels, design, and style before making your choice.
The Shoei RF-SR Helmet, AGV K3 SV Helmet, HJC C70 Helmet (X-Large), and Scorpion EXO-R420 Helmet are some of our top picks for the best helmets for scooter riders.
Always put your safety first when using a scooter, and one easy but effective way to do that is to wear a helmet.
We trust that our buying guide will help you select the best helmet for your needs. So, scoot safely and stylishly! Safety comes first, then fashion: a few words about how to scooter safely and stylishly
There is no getting around the fact that helmets are an essential piece of equipment for scooter riders. The significance of wearing a helmet cannot be overstated, regardless of whether you commute every day or are an avid enthusiast.
Helmets give your head an additional layer of protection, which can be crucial in the event of an accident.
But it’s equally crucial to pick a helmet that looks good and is secure. Choosing the ideal helmet for your needs can be overwhelming with so many options on the market.
But with the right information, you can make a choice that satisfies both your needs for safety and your preferences for fashion. When selecting a scooter helmet, always keep in mind that safety comes first and fashion comes second. Look for helmets that fit properly, meet safety requirements, and offer enough ventilation and noise reduction.
Additionally, you can find a helmet that matches your requirements and sense of style among our top picks for the best scooter helmets.
So, the next time you ride your scooter on the road, be sure to proudly and confidently wear your helmet.
It’s not only a wise decision but also a fashionable one that enhances your overall appearance. Remember that helmets are a necessary accessory that you cannot afford to overlook if you want to scooter safely and stylishly.